Microsoft continues to introduce Windows 10 updates to ensure the latest security and stability patches and smooth performance. It always reminds users of these updates from time to time, so it plays a very responsible moderator role.
Fixes for Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff
However, many users have been facing endless errors when downloading these updates in Windows 10. One such error we are going to discuss today is “error 0x80242ff”. It usually appears when updating Windows from version 7 or 8.1 to version 10. Although this is a basic error, it is also very convenient to get rid of it. To learn about the fix for “error 0x80242ff”, please keep reading the article until the end:
FIX 1: Perform Clean Boot:
The first fix we can try in order to fix the “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff” is performing a Clean Boot. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the RUN prompt, type “msconfig” and then click on OK.
- Now in the Service configuration window, click on the Service tab and tick the checkbox located before the option Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on the Disable All tab and then click on Apply to confirm the changes.
- Now click on the Start-up tab and select the option Open task Manager
- Turn off all the start-up programs one after the other and then click on OK.
- Lastly, restart your PC and then again try to update Windows 10.
FIX 2: Disable the third-party antivirus from your system:
One of the common causes of “Windows 10 update error 0x80242ff” is the entire third-party antivirus software or some of its designated functions. In this case, you can first try to disable certain features of the antivirus software, and then check if it helps. Or you can completely disable or uninstall the antivirus software and check if it helps.
If the error 0x80242ff is resolved after disabling your current anti-virus software, then it is recommended that you must switch to a different third-party anti-virus software.
If after disabling your current antivirus software, the error 0x80242ff resolves, then it is recommended that you must switch to different third-party antivirus software.
FIX 3: Set the Windows Defender service to Automatic:
Changing some settings in the Windows Defender service might also help you in getting rid of the “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff”. To set the service as Automatic, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the RUN prompt, type “services.msc” and press Enter.
- From the Services window scroll down and locate Windows Defender.
- Now check the service status, if it is blank then change it. To do so, right-click on it and select Start.
- And make sure the Start-up type is set as Automatic. If not, then select its Properties and, set it accordingly.
- Once done, reboot the system and then try to update again. The error issue might have solved by now.
FIX 4: Use SFC and DISM Tools for checking the System Files Integrity:
A corrupt system file could be one of the primary reasons for “Windows 10 update Error 0x80242ff”. Hence by verifying the System Files Integrity through SFC and DISM, we can get rid of the said error. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, type “cmd” on the Windows search bar.
- From the search results, locate Command prompt and then select Run as administrator from its right-pane menu.
- Now in the administrator window, type the following command and then press Enter:
- Now it will start the scanning process and check your system for any corrupt files. The process might take some time, do not close the window till then.
Once done, try to update your system. If it processes smoothly, then it means the error is resolved with the SFC scan. However, if not, then run the DISM tool now.
- Follow the 1st and 2nd step from the first procedure of this FIX.
- Now type the below command and then press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Now it will start the scanning process and check your system for any corrupt files. As same as above this process also might take some time, do not close the window till then.
Once done, try to update your system. It would have resolved the said error issue by now.
FIX 5: Reset Windows update services:
The “Windows 10 update Error 0x80242ff” can occur if there’s an issue with the Windows update services. Hence, resetting the Windows update services might help here. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, open the Command prompt with the Administrator access.
- Now disable all your network connections. For doing so, run the following commands in sequence. Make sure you press Enter key after each of the commands to make them run separately.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After running the commands, your internet connection enabled.
- Once done, restart your PC and try to update your system. The error issue might have resolved by now.
FIX 6: Disable Windows Firewall:
For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- First open the RUN dialog box by pressing Windows key+ R simultaneously.
- Then in the RUN dialog box you need to type “firewall.cpl” and click OK.
- Here from the left-pane menu select the option Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- Now on the Customize settings window navigate to the Private network settings.
- Here click on the circle located before the option Turn off Windows defender firewall (not recommended).
- On the Public Network settings click on the circle locate before the option Turn off Windows defender firewall (not recommended).
- Lastly, click on OK to save the changes.
Once done, try to update Windows again. If the process done smoothly, then turn on the Windows Defender Firewall again.
FIX 7: Download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
If none of the above solutions works for you, then you can also download the Windows update directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog. For doing so, follow the steps given below:
NOTE: This fix will only allow you to download and install the update but will not fix the error issue.
Now before you proceed with this fix, visit the Windows Update section on your device and find the code of the update you were trying to install. The code would be something similar to “KBxxxxxxx”. Here ‘xxx’ means an array of numbers.
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog and in the search box enter the Update code.
- Now from the list of matching updates, select the one that uses the same architecture as your PC.
- Click on the Download button.
- Once it is downloaded, double click on the file and let it install into your system.
These were all the best possible fixes for “Windows 10 Update Error 0x80242ff”. All of them are tried, tested and safe to use for all the users. Meanwhile, apart from these fixes, we recommend you to perform a “Malware Scan” on your system and check whether it helps you to get rid of the said issue or not.
We hope you will find all the information mentioned in the article above as helpful and relevant. The Windows 10 updates might bring you towards various possible errors, however, the “Error 0x80242ff” is a basic one and can get solved easily. If you have any queries or feedback, please write down the comment in the below comment box.