Microsoft Surface Duo released in October 2019 and launched in 2020 with Android 10 Should get Android 11 in 2021, but this did not happen. However, the company hasn’t forgotten about its foldable smartphone, as the smartphone has finally received the Android 11 update.
The update comes with firmware version 2021.1027.156 and bumps the Android security patch level on Surface Duo to January 2022. It also comes with optimized quick settings, an updated app drawer and folder design, and an enhanced dual-screen viewing experience for editing photos in the OneDrive app.
You can check out the updated full changelog below for more details:
- Upgrade Android OS to Android 11. More on Android 11.
- Addresses the situation outlined in the Android Security Bulletin (January 2022).
- Enable OneNote to launch when you click the top button on Surface Slim Pen 2. It requires Surface Slim Pen 2 to be paired with Surface Duo.
- Enable in Surface Duo features, select the preference for answering calls while folded in settings.
- Enable in Surface Duo features, select specific apps in Settings to automatically span two screens when you open them.
- Optimized quick settings and notification width for portrait and landscape.
- Adjust media volume directly from quick settings in any device mode.
- Now use thumb mode with all device modes and app states in Microsoft SwiftKey.
- Updated app drawer and folder design with improved drag and drop support.
- Updated Microsoft feed design with updated cards and new Microsoft Start widgets for news and weather.
- OneDrive Photos: A new dual-screen enhanced experience for viewing and editing photos in the OneDrive app.
- Xbox Game Pass: Discover and play games from the cloud using an on-screen controller. Certain equipment, accessories and software are sold separately. Certain apps and features require additional fees and/or subscriptions.
Microsoft says Android 11 is rolling out to the Surface Duo in North America and Europe, but those with unlocked AT&T devices will have to wait as Microsoft is still “testing this build and awaiting final validation.”